Artificial Blood Substitutes Global Market and Patent Landscape Report till 2025
- Global potential artificial blood substitutes market is expected to be valued at $5,204 million by 2022 and is expected to grow by a CAGR of 27.8 percent to assume a value of $17,775 million by 2027
- R&D interest in artificial blood products technologies has maintained at a constant pace with approximately 67 patents filed every year over the period from 1997 to 2016.
- Injuries segment will be the biggest contributor at $1,993 million to artificial blood substitutes market in 2022.
- One of the critical emerging geographies from technology innovation perspective is Korea which is showing trends of active patent fillings for the period 2011 to 2016.
Artificial Blood Substitutes Market – Patent landscape report, by source (human blood, animal blood, microorganism based recombinant Hb, synthetic polymers, stem cells) product type (PFCs, HBOCs), by application (Cardiovascular diseases, Malignant neoplasms, Injuries, Neonatal Conditions, Organ transplants, Maternal condition) by Patent Activities (patent categories and classification, patent landscape analysis, licensing and litigation) – Global Forecast, 2022
Human blood is a specialized bodily fluid that amounts to seven to eight percent of human body weight. This essential fluid performs the critical function of transporting oxygen and nutrients to the body cells and transporting back carbon dioxide, ammonia, and other waste products away from cells. Oxygen carrying capacity of human blood to lungs is attributed to the presence of red blood cells (RBCs) which are of utmost importance. Artificial blood substitutes are being researched and developed as alternatives for replacing RBCs for oxygen carrying capacity. Regular human blood has a shelf life of only 42 days which limits their utilization over more extended periods. This necessitates the development of blood substitutes which can be stored for longer durations. In addition, blood substitutes have universal compatibility, and therefore their application is not restricted by typing and cross-matching. Blood substitutes are extremely necessary in case of acute and chronic blood loss from injuries and accidents where a shortage of oxygen to cells affects the survival of patient by inflicting permanent damage to tissues.
Blood substitutes market is categorized into two segments viz. Perfluorocarbon-based oxygen carriers (PFBOC), and Hemoglobin-based oxygen carriers (HBOC). PFBOCs are based on inert components which replace hydrogen with fluorine. HBOCs consists of hemoglobin derived products sourced from humans blood, bovine blood, microorganisms and transgenic animals.
Companies like Alliance Pharmaceutical Corp., Baxter Healthcare Corp., Nuvox Pharmaceuticals, Sanguine Inc., and Therapure Biopharma are the active palyers in the artificial blood products market. Global demand for blood is exponentially increasing which is exerting tremendous pressure on blood donation industry resulting into the illegal sale of human blood in the red market. To counter the above issue, there is a greater need for blood substitutes which can fulfill blood volume demands in short period. In this advancing world, we need artificial blood products to save precious human lives, and persistent research and innovation can only achieve the intended results.
Table of Content
Chapter 1 Introduction
- Study Goals and Objectives
- Scope of the Report
- Market Estimation Methodology
- Intended Audience
Chapter 2 Technology Overview
- Introduction to Blood Substitutes
- Existing Blood Supply Constraints
- Advances in Blood Transfusion over the Years
- Ideal Blood Substitutes
- Benefits of Artificial Blood Substitutes
Chapter 3 Business Landscape And Forecast
- Market Impacting Factors
- Market Size and Penetration
- Market Segmentation by Source
- Artificial Blood Substitutes from Human Blood
- Artificial Blood Substitutes from Animal (Bovine and Transgenic) Blood
- Artificial Blood from Microorganism Based Recombinant Haemoglobin
- Artificial Blood from Synthetic Polymers
- Artificial Blood from Stem Cells
- Market Segmentation by Product Type
- Hemoglobin-Based Oxygen Carriers (Hbocs)
- Acellular Hbocs
- Cellular Hbocs
- Perfluorocarbon-Based Oxygen Carriers (Pfcs)
- First Generation Of Pfcs
- Second Generation Of Pfcs
- Third Generation Of Pfcs
- Comparative Analysis Of The Type Of Artificial Blood Substitutes
- Market Segmentation by Application
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Malignant Neoplasms
- Neonatal Conditions
- Organ Transplants
- Maternal Condition
- Other Cases
- Market Segmentation by Region
- North America
- Rest of the World (Row)
Chapter 4 Market Drivers and Challenges
- Market Trends
- Constraints in Development of Artificial Blood Substitutes
Chapter 5 Competitive Landscape
- Active Molecules’ Park Competence Alliance (Pam)
- Kalocyte Inc.
- Hemobiotech, Inc.
- Tenax Therapeutics Inc.
- Therapure Biopharma Inc.
- Opk Biotech, Llc
- Hbo2 Therapeutics Llc
- Fluoro2 Therapeutics, Inc.
- Sanguine Corporation
- Prolong Pharmaceuticals, Llc
- Nuvox Pharma Llc
- Baxter Healthcare Corporation
- Northfield Laboratories Inc.
- Sangart, Inc.
- Sanguine Corporation
- Tenax Therapeutics Inc.
- Terumo Corporation
- Therapure Biopharma Inc.
Chapter 6 Innovation Landscape
- Search Strategy
- Categories and Cpc Classification
- Patent Activity
- How Is The Innovation Activity Trend?
- What Are The Key Grant Timelines?
- Who Are The Leading Players?
- Who Is Making Substantial Investment In The Technology?
- Who Are The Key Inventors In The Domain?
- Who Is More Active In R&D? Academia Or Corporate?
- Which Are The Current Technological Focus Areas?
- Which Substitute Type Is Gaining Momentum?
- Which Sources Are Being Preferred For Developing Artificial Blood Substitute?
- Which Application Areas Will Drive The Market?
- Which Are The Key Geographies For Setting Up Innovation Centres?
- Which Geographies Are Touted As Investment Goldmines?
- How Is The Blood Substitute Technology Regulated?
Chapter 7 Appendix
- Acronyms, Abbreviations, and Units
- Methodology And Information Sources
- Analyst Profile
Table of Tables (45 Tables)
Table of Figures (29 Figures)
This report aims to present business and patent landscape for the emerging market of artificial blood substitutes. The objective is to analyze existing technologies and emerging trends in each aspect of the industry.
The study provides information on the global supply and demand for human blood, the constraints associated with the supply, the market need to develop artificial blood substitutes, limitations associated with artificial blood substitute development. The report also covers the status of various Hemoglobin based oxygen carriers (HBOCs) and Perfluorocarbon based oxygen carrier (PFC) emulsions. Also, the study presents a detailed analysis of research activities in this industry along with significant patent data trends and analysis. Artificial blood products market has been analyzed based on various attributes such as source, type, and application areas. The report attempts to segment the market based on sources from which blood substitutes are derived, product features, technology and methodology used. Six potential application markets have been identified based on the possibility of replacing donor blood in critical medical treatments. Potential applications of the blood substitutes have been discussed, and market growth for each application segment have been predicted further for the period 2022 to 2027. Number of artificial blood units required for blood transfusion in each of the six categories of medical treatment cases have been assumed based on the current average number of donor blood units used for transfusion procedures in these categories. Two scenarios of market penetration have been estimated based on product acceptance. The global potential market is forecasted for 2022 and 2027 regarding volume and value for the two market penetration cases considering the total number of blood transfusions taking place globally and number of artificial blood units required for these procedures. The market data has been assessed and validated considering interrelated market attributes.
Report will also focus on competitor landscape with product profiling, projected global potential market size for artificial blood substitutes regarding both volume and value for 2022 and 2027, forecasted market penetration scenarios including market impacting factors. In-depth company profiling of active as well as inactive companies and their products have been included in this report. Regional dynamics of the global artificial blood market and current trends within the industry have been deliberated in the report. In this report, the geographic regions considered for market analysis exclusively include:
- North America: United States, Mexico, Canada
- Europe: U.K., Germany, Russia, Spain, France, Italy
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia
- Rest of the world: South Africa, Brazil